In my last post, I mentioned that I've been on the lookout for trying more main dishes than desserts lately! Really, when I look at my recipe index I see an inflated list of desserts mainly!
Since my Sister, S, wanted to eat pizza, my next and obvious dish was to be a pizza!! Though my most-made and appreciated pizza is the Chicken Sausage Pizza, I wanted something new, something spicy and a Pizza that I do not get to eat at Pizza Hut anymore! But Im not too sure if they still have this on the menu!
An Easy but Rich and Delicious Chicken Tikka Masala Pizza!
Packed with aromatic flavours, you'll keep this recipe for as long as you can
Anyways, my point is, its always good to try new dishes, new flavours, and get adventurous with spices you have never blended together before! I wanted a Hawaiian Chicken Pizza at first but we've all had this one relentlessly - its boring, is it not! - so I felt why not have a go at the Chicken Tikka Masala Pizza!
I must confess two things! One is that it takes a little bit more time and effort than your usual go to pizza! And second, you get to appreciate the heavenly reward once you are done baking the pizza! It's totally worth it!
So make sure you try it out, and let us know how it turns out!
- Stand Mixer with Dough Hook (Not needed if you prefer kneading by hand!)
- Aluminium Foil
- Parchment Paper (Not needed if you prefer baking in pizza pan)
1. For the Pizza Dough (Thin Crust) *Updated*
- 2 Cups of All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup of Lukewarm Water
- 1 Tsp of Instant Yeast
- A small pinch of Salt
- Dash of Paprika (Optional)
- Dash of Herbes de Provences (Optional)
- Dash of Dried Basil (Optional)
- Olive oil to roll
2. For the Chicken Tikka Masala Marinade:
- 250g of Boneless Chicken, cut into small cubes
- 2 Tbsp of Evaporated Milk (it helps tenderise the meat, yoghurt is more often used, feel free to substitute)
- 1/4 Tsp of Crushed Garlic
- 1/4 Tsp of Paprika
- 1/4 Tsp of Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp of Cumin
- 1/4 Tsp of 5 Spices (Garam Masala)
- Dash of Cinnamon
- Dash of Clove
- Dash of Powdered Ginger
3. For the Tomato Sauce:
- 5 Tbsp of Tomato Purée
- 1 Tbsp of Evaporated Milk (Use Yoghurt or Cream)
- Dash of Paprika
- Dash of Cayenne Pepper
- Dash of Crushed Garlic
4. Additional Topping
- 1 Medium Onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Tsp of Crushed Garlic
- 1 Tsp of oil [You could use butter to add flavour]
- 75g to 100g of Grated Mozzarella (Depending on how much you like cheese!)
- Handful of Cilantro, chopped, reserve a few tsp for garnish
- 1/4 Tsp of Garam Masala (Mix with below two ingredients and set aside)
- 1/4 Tsp of Paprika
- 1/4 Tsp of Cumin
1. Making the Chicken Tikka Masala and the Tomato Sauce:
- Combine all the ingredients together and let marinate for atleast 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- At the end of the 1 hour, preheat oven to 200˚C.
- Spread the chicken marinade onto a piece of aluminium foil and let bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the tomato sauce by mixing all ingredients together.
- Remove the half-cooked chicken from the oven and discard any marinade juice.
2. Making the Pizza Dough:
- Preheat oven to 180˚C, half an hour before baking the pizza.
- Combine all the ingredients except the olive oil in the bowl of your stand mixer with the dough hook attached. Let process for 5 minutes or until the dough is elastic.
- If the dough is slightly sticky, work in 1 tablespoon of flour at a time, until the dough feels smooth.
- Slightly grease 2 12" parchment paper with olive oil.
- Shape the dough into 2 balls and then flatten each disk.
- Place one disk in the middle of the parchment paper and using your rolling pin, roll it once, then make a 45˚ turn clockwise, roll again and repeat the process until you have a 12" pizza about ¼" thick. Or you could stretch the pizza outwards using your hands if you're after a shape-free pizza dough!
- Spoon the tomato sauce, a little at a time, in the middle of the pizza dough, then using the back of the spoon spread it outwards. Repeat until covered as desire. Do not add more than necessary, the pizza base might turn soggy. [The rest of the tomato sauce will be used for the tikka chicken]
- Repeat for the other disk.
- At this point, bake the pizza for 5 minutes, turn the pizza 180˚ and let bake some 2 minutes more. [You do this because most oven have hot spots!]
- Meanwhile, in a pan heat the 1 Tsp of oil and add the crushed garlic and sliced onion. Add a pinch of garam masala, paprika and cumin mixture. Let cook until transparent. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add the tomato sauce and a pinch of the garam masala mixture, let cook for 1-2 minutes and then toss in the tikka chicken. Let cook for a 2-3 minutes.
3. The Final Step:
- Make sure the oven is still preheated.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and sprinkle half of the mozzarella, then carefully place the tikka chicken followed by the sautéed onions.
- Top with chopped cilantro, mozzarella and lastly sprinkle the rest of the garam masala mixture.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the edges are golden and crispy, turning 180˚C midway.
- Remove from oven place on rack and let cool slightly before serving!
Enjoy your pizza!
Pop in to leave a comment next time you try this! We love hearing from you!