This page is dedicated to little tips and tricks that will be useful to you in the kitchen (hopefully!!) Feel free to drop in a comment for any additional tips..or tricks that you might have!
Use Your Used Vanilla Pod
- Whenever you are using vanilla bean pods, do not throw them away!! Put them in your sugar jar to get vanilla sugar!
Heal a Burn Quickly
- Both my index fingers just got burnt from holding a super hot tray (that came out straight from the oven at 250˚C..ouch that hurts..a lot!!). So, I read about a remedy which says, place the burnt area under cold water for a few seconds and on the still wet area, apply salt. Rub in, leave for a few seconds and then rinse! Trust me, it works..wonders!!
- Apply a little bit of oil onto a spoon before inserting it into the honey jar. You'll see it'll come out easily without sticking.
How to easily deseed a chilli?
- Cut the upper end of the chilli, (a few mm just below the stalk) and place chilli in between your hands, with the cut facing downwards and start rolling. The seeds will come out easily!
How to juice a lemon? [without using a juicer/squeezer]
- Slightly press on the lemon and roll on a surface before cutting in half and squeezing out the juice.
Used half of a lemon and do not want to throw away the rest?
- Cut the remaining lemon in wedges and freeze! Use them to pep your drinks!
How to toast nuts?
- Preheat oven to 340˚/170˚C.
- In a baking sheet, toss in the nuts.
- If you want to toast flakes, then let toast for 1-2 minutes on each side, giving the sheet a gentle push in between the times.
- If you are toasting whole nuts, let toast for 6 to 10 minutes.
How to skin nuts?
- Once you are done toasting the nuts, place them in the center of a towel (preferably one with embroidery - it provides more friction).
- Grab all the edges at the top, secure and press down with the side of your hand (still holding the edges) and swirl in clockwise/anticlockwise direction for a few minutes or until all the skins come off the nuts.
Why throw away the core of a pineapple?