Here's to another vegetarian/vegan recipe from my fasting days!
A Grilled Zucchini and Eggplant Pizza!!
The only screaming note, that rushed through my mind when I first made this pizza was, "Fasting doesn't have to be boring!!"
Indeed, this Grilled Zucchini and Eggplant Pizza, though sounds boring, having no flesh (Ha!), and with nothing about it saying hot and spicy, very much unlike my Chicken Tikka Masala Pizza, is definitely a winner in my kitchen!
Spoiler: If you are a heat and spice lover, then you are not going to like this! (I am being honest!!)
'Coz this Pizza is a perfect treat for your summer days mostly, when you would rather crave for light, easy-to-eat and low-cal meals!
There's no reason why you cannot try this during winter days!
Mauritius' winter is no real winter so!!
I really hope you enjoy this recipe!
Have fun with Pizza-Making!
1. For the Pizza Dough:
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Tsp of Instant Yeast
- 1/4 Tsp of Chopped Rosemary
- 1 Tsp of Crushed Garlic
- 1 Tsp of Olive Oil
- A little less than 1/3 Cup of lukewarm water
- Pinch of Dried Thyme
- 1/4 Tsp of Salt/Pepper
- Generous Pinch of Sugar
2. For the Tomato Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp of Tomato Purée
- 1/4 Tsp of Crushed Garlic
- Pinch of Oregano
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
3. For the Topping:
- 1/2 Cup of Zucchini, Sliced 1/4" Thick
- 1 Small Eggplant, Sliced 1/4" Thick
- 7-8 Cherry Tomatoes, Halved
- 1/4 Tsp of Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Tsp of Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella, Shredded
- 1 Tbsp of Parmesan, Grated
- 1/2 Tsp of Herbes de Provence
- Few Basil Leaves, to garnish
- Start by making the pizza dough. Combine all the ingredients together and knead for some 10-15 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Transfer the dough into an oiled bowl and let rest for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, heat a grill pan on medium heat.
- In a bowl, combine the, zucchini, eggplant, cherry tomatoes, olive oil, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Mix well to coat with oil evenly.
- Arrange the zucchini and eggplant slices on the grill and let cook until tender and slightly golden brown.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Prepare the tomato sauce by combining all the ingredient together and set aside.
- At the end of the 1 hour, preheat oven to 180˚C.
- Dust a work surface with flour. Punch the dough down and knead for a few minutes.
- Transfer the dough onto a 9" parchment paper (lightly floured) and roll into a 9"inch circle.
- Using the back of a spoon, spread the tomato sauce onto the pizza dough.
- Bake the dough for 5 minutes, turn the dough 180˚ and let bake for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the pizza dough from the oven and arrange the grilled zucchini and eggplant sliced. Sprinkle with mozzarella and dried herbes de provence.
- Bake for another 10 minutes or until mozzarella is melted.
- Best served warm drizzled with spicy pizza oil!