It was the 6th of February and like every other cyclone-holiday-seeking-student, I woke up at 5 with the very goal of hearing some good news on the radio! Yay for me! I, did have my university day off and thinking no further, I had to get into my small but cosy kitchen and bake something - anything!
Initially, I was planning on making my very much appreciated Chocolate Pudding but then my very indecisive mind led me to making Langues de Chat! And I barely remember what actually pushed me to! Maybe it's that little child in me that never grew!
|You too can revive your childhood memories with|
these awfully easy-to-make and crunchy Langues de Chat!
Langues de Chat are those biscuits we have all relished when we were kids, n'est ce pas?
Oblong in shape, Crunchy in texture, Vanilla-flavoured and its perfect combination with Nutella, the Cat's Tongue really is a simple decadent classic!
The best part of it is that anybody will think it takes much effort, ingredients and time to make! Well, let me take you to cloud nine, because this is a very simple recipe that you'll keep making again and again, plus when you have leftover egg whites you don't have to throw them away!
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoon
- Baking Mat or Baking Sheet lined with Parchment Paper
- Stand Mixer (Paddle Attachment) Otherwise use wooden spoon
- Piping Bag
- 120g (Roughly 1 Stick + 1½ Tsp) of Unsalted Butter
- 1/3 Cup + 1 Tbsp of Light Brown Sugar
- 3 Egg Whites
- 1/2 Tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Tsp of Salt
- 1 Cup of All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp of Cocoa Powder (Optional, Read Notes)
Makes 2-3 Dozens (Depends on Size)
- Preheat oven to 170˚C.
- Throw butter, sugar and salt in the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment and beat until mixture becomes pale yellow.
- Add egg white one by one, beating on medium speed after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract, and beat to combine.
- Add flour in three times, beating on low speed after each addition.
- At this point, you can reserve a third of the batter and add cocoa powder to make chocolate flavoured Langues de Chat!
- Pour batter into a piping bag. Cut the end 1 cm in diameter.
- Pipe straight lines of 5-8cm long and atleast 3cm apart from each other (they spread a lot!).
- Bake for 6-8 minutes or until the sides are golden brown.
- Remove from oven, let cool on a cooling rack, and immediately after, store in an airtight container.
Enjoy these Miaow Miaow Biscuits!
- If you don't have a stand mixer, you can use a wooden spoon.
- If you wish to make chocolate-flavoured Langues de Chat, add cocoa powder to 1/3 of the mixture otherwise leave it as it for vanilla-flavoured biscuits. You can use other flavours as well, almond, green tea, orange, lemon...
- Watch out for these biscuits around 6 minutes, or you'll be sorry! They bake really fast!