Lately, weirdly enough for those who know me well, I've started fasting on Wednesdays, feasting on only 1 meal (meat-free; egg-free) throughout the day! I'd rather have dinner than have lunch and starve for the rest of the 11 hours left!! So He and I had decided to go to a South Indian restaurant - Chennai Bhavan - for dinner, as I was craving for Dosa!! It is one of the 3 restaurants in Mauritius serving Dosa!
To our misfortune the restaurant is closed on Wednesdays! We then decided to go one other Dosa-Serving restaurant! And to our misery again, the restaurant was to close in the next 30 minutes! We decided to leave and just go back home! See our luck?! But on our way back He decided to have some dumplings and while we made it to there, He noticed an Indian restaurant - Tandoori Express and we finally got lucky! Though my Dosa plan had flopped!!!!
We ordered for a Tamarind Rice and it was amazingly delicious! Tasty, slightly Tangy and Spicy, ah one to try and to keep!! That is how I decided to make my version of it, which came out pretty tasty, to be honest!!
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Rice Cooker
- Deep Frying Pan
- 1 cup of Rice
- 1 dry Red Chilli
- A little less than 1/4 tsp of fenugreek seeds
- A pinch of Asafoetida
- 1 tsp of Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp of black sesame seeds
- 6-8 Curry Leaves
- A pinch of Saffron
- 40g of Tamarind Pulp
- 1/2 tsp of Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 tsp of Sesame Oil (I've used a blend of Canola & Sesame Oil)
- 1/2 tsp of White Sugar
- 3/4 cup of warm Water
- Salt to taste
- Wash rice until water is clear. Drain.
- Cook rice like you would usually do in your rice cooker - add 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice. Add pinch of salt and pinch of saffron. Let cook.
- When done, drizzle the sesame oil on top. Mix well and reserve.
- In a small bowl, add the warm water and the tamarind pulp together. Let soak for a few minutes.
- Remove the fibres and the seeds from the tamarind pulp.
- In the deep frying pan, roast the dry red chilli, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds and mustard seeds on medium low heat for about 30seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the curry leaves, turmeric powder, asafoetida, tamarind extract, pinch of salt and the sugar.
- Let cook until all of the water drains out, and a thick mass leaving the side of the pan forms.
- Finally add the rice to the frying pan. Mix well and you're done!!!