Anyways, these little madeleines, are spongey, yummy and delicious. I've filled the centre with Nutella, but you can always skip that step and bake plain madeleines. You can fill them with the jam of your choice too. They are easy, the only thing to keep in mind here is to always fill the pockets (I don't really have an idea how you call that!) 3/4 way, which I didn't care to do, out of being in a hurry. The downside is only extra sides to the madeleines, or if the pockets are too close the madeleines will stick together.
If you don't have a madeleine mould yet, I recommend buying a silicone one, you don't have to grease and butter it. And turning out is easier, no sticking.
- Measuring spoons
- Kitchen Scale
- Madeleine Mould
- Hand Mixer
- Refrigerator - for refrigerating
- 3 eggs
- 110g of sugar
- 2 tbsp of honey
- 100g of butter
- 140g of all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp of active dry yeast
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Nutella, as needed for filling
- Begin by melting the butter in the microwave for 15 seconds. You will notice there will still be soft lumps, just mix with a spoon and they will melt with the heat of the already melted butter. Set aside.
- Combine the eggs, honey and sugar together and using your hand mixer, beat until doubled in volume.
- Mix the yeast and flour together. Add to the egg mixture.
- Finally add the cooled butter and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 240˚C.
- Spoon the batter and using another spoon, drop it into the pockets while filling 3/4 to the way if you want plain madeleines.
- If you want nutella madeleines, then spoon ± 1/4 spoon and then a little bit of Nutella spread (as per your convenience) and then cover with another ± 1/4 spoon to cover the madeleine. [Im referring to the mini madeleine moulds here, if you have the actual size mould, then it would be ±1/2 spoon)
- Put in the oven and reduce the temperature to 200˚C.
- When the madeleines are golden in colour, remove from the oven, turn them out and place on a cooling rack.
- Dust with icing sugar if you feel like it!