Happy Bread Puddi-Ing!
- Kitchen Scale
- Measuring Spoons
- Pressure Cooking
- 6 x 2 inches round cake pan
- Aluminium foil or use a pan/bowl with a fitted lid
- 200g of bread
- 50g of sugar
- 1 tbsp of butter, softened
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence
- 150g of milk powder
- 50g of sugar [for the caramel]
- 1 tbsp of water
- Allow the bread to soak in water for 30 minutes or until the bread completely absorbs the water.
- Extract the maximum of water from the bread and place in another bowl.
- Now, combine the bread, the milk, the vanilla essence and the sugar using your hands.
- Finally add the butter and mix well.
- Add the sugar and the water to the cake pan, simmer on low heat.
- When the sugar starts to coat the bottom of the pan and is brown, remove the pan from heat.
- Swirl the pan to coat the edges.
- Add the bread mixture to the cake pan.
- Cover the pan with aluminium foil or with a fitted lid if you have one.
- Place the pan in a pressure cooker, with water half-filled to the pan.
- Let cook for 50 to 60 minutes (long time eh?) or until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before removing the pan from the pressure cooker.
- Invert the pan onto a plate and cut in slices.
- You can add 3 tbsp of sultanas [soak in water for 30 minutes prior to adding to the bread mixture]
- You can also add about 1/2 tsp of lemon zest/orange zest.